Secondment Opportunity at the ASEA Secretariat
The African Securities Exchanges Association (ASEA) signed a three (3) year Cooperation Agreement with the Financial Sector Deepening (FSD) Africa on June 29, 2017.
This Cooperation Agreement seeks to enhance sustainable development of Africa’s capital markets by encouraging inflows of long-term finance into Africa’s Capital Markets, and providing a spur to economic growth as those capital flows are invested in the real economy.
In order to ensure the success of these two (2) institutions’ efforts, it has been deemed necessary to boost the capacity of the resource at the ASEA Secretariat by recruiting an additional staff through a Secondment Program.
2. Scope of the Secondment
The Secondment is open to ASEA Member Exchanges only.
The Secondee will work at the Secretariat of ASEA alongside the current staff member, with a key focus on research and policy analysis, with specific duties and responsibilities as here below.
A. Duties and Responsibilities
i. Provide adequate support on project management, strategic planning, monitoring and implementation and ownership of strategic projects and initiatives of ASEA;
ii. Assist in the development of a three (3) year sustainable strategy for the ASEA Secondment Program that will complement the goals and objectives of the Association;
iii. Work closely with the current staff at the ASEA Secretariat, the Executive Committee and other Work Streams in driving and implementing various tasks;
- Work closely with the consultant firm which will be procured for the development of the ASEA information portal and ensure a timely completion of the assignment;
- Formulate high level reports, statements and position papers on emerging trends relating to the capital markets and global economic matters;
- Identify future opportunities and products that can potentially generate revenue for the Association and enable ASEA to undertake self-funded projects;
- Assist in developing and implementing policies, strategies and programs that contribute to the fulfillment of the objectives of ASEA as well as aid in decision making processes;
- Assist in providing administrative and logistical support for the preparation, conduct and follow up of the ASEA Executive Committee meetings;
- Take lead on an existing ASEA project and work closely with the respective stakeholders on the implementation process;
- Identify strategic partner institutions to facilitate promotion of ASEA’s agenda;
- Assist in developing the Association’s periodic publications (Annual Report, Quarterly Magazine, Handbook, etc.) and planning of events (Annual Conference, Building AfricanFinancial Markets (BAFM) Seminar, etc.) through liaison with the relevant parties; and
- Performing other tasks related to the Secondment Program as may be required.
B. Qualifications, Competencies and Skills
- Relevant Master’s degree;
- Possession of professional qualification(s) will be an added advantage;
- Membership ofa relevant Professional Institute will be an added advantage;
- Minimum six (6) years of relevant experience in the areas of research, strategy, policy analysis, consulting etc;
- Strong research skills coupled with polished written and oral communication skills;
- Good understanding of the capital markets and macroeconomics;
- Strong quantitative background with competency in Excel and some experience with higher-level technical computing environments;
- Ability to provide timely and accurate information on matters related to the capital market;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of privileged information and to ensure absolute discretion and sensitivity to confidential matters;
- Must be a strategic thinker with strong organizational and analytical skills;
- Ability to work independently on projects in a fast paced environment; and
- Methodical, detail-oriented, and dedicated to producing a high-quality work product.
C. Duty Station
Nairobi Securities Exchange
The Exchange Building
No. 55 Westlands Road
D. Tenure of Secondment
There will be three Secondment Programs, each for a period of one (1) year; with the first Secondee set to begin in January 2018. Thereafter, the Secondment Program will be re-advertised annually among the ASEA Member Exchanges for the next two (2) years to give other interested candidates an equal opportunity.
3. How to apply
All applications must reach the ASEA Secretariat not later than December 11, 2017 through firstname.lastname@example.org. All applicants must seek approval from their employer before applying for the Secondment Program (such approval to be attached to the application) since the Member Exchange will remain the substantive employer of the Secondee. All shortlisted applicants will undergo an interview process as appropriate and the top ranked candidate will be recommended to the ASEA Executive Committee for final approval.
4. Relocation procedure
The successful candidate will be relocated to the duty station from January 2018. FSD Africa will meet costs related to the relocation such as housing, relevant permits, travels and other allowances.